Working my daily shift at good ol' Heritage Halls cleaning buildnig 24 I came across a jewel, most precious above all others. It is a book in a series for young women themed after the young women values. This one had a purple cover and was called Double Trouble, a book about Integrity. Identical twins switch places on a date. Can Jody tell the truth or will it lose her the man she loves? Come on Jode, he's a thin accountant who ice skates and is named Marvin. I guess the name is better than Newell, but still...move on.
May I get up on my soap box for a moment? Mormon books, in general, suck. The writers who have talent shoot for the mainstream. Unfortunately, there is a catch. Mainstream readers don't want to read LDS characters. To write those you must go through Deseret Books, removing controversy, swearing and reality from the document. A good writer is wasted and a cliche one praised to the skies. Why is it that a religion that encourages perfection fosters a culture that harbors mediocrity?
Sorry Sister Gates. No offense meant to you and your admirable stories. I'm sure I love them.
1 comment:
"But I like Newell. He's just right for McKay, you'll see."
Sis. Gates
Post a Comment