Saturday, July 30, 2005

i say a little prayer for you

I am sitting at the computer listening to the sound-track for My Best Friend's Wedding while April sings to it. We're wallowing in our Saturday night at home. Soon we'll start a movie, pull out the snacks and wallow in style. Right now dancing in formal dresses to Tony Bennett is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Don't get me wrong, I was very glad to see all my friends giddy about their respective dates tonight. Elise fell in love with her friend is telling him tonight. Ashley, stoic unromantic Ashley, was worried how her hair looked and whether the new jeans were the right touch for the night. To quote Elise, if boys just knew what we went through!

It would be better if they were to know what we do when we have no prospect of a date. Our frenzied primping is predictable; it's when we sit at home rewinding and rewatching selected scenes from chick-flicks that we are most revealing. Rupert Everett serenading in a restaurant! Is it wrong that I am swooning over a gay man? Well then, one more time through and I'll stop. I'll just watch the scene where Michael sings on the barge.

I want to be serenaded. Probably I shouldn't want it, because I would laugh in the face of whoever was brave enough to try. To quote Jane Austen, spinster albeit romantic expert: I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love...Of a fine, stout, healthy love it may [be the food], but if it be only a slight, thing sort of inclination, I am convinced that one good sonnet will starve it entirely away. One may substitute serenade with poetry, though the original is true too.

I just got caught up in the giddiness of the evening. Love is in the air. And now April is leaving me for Joe. I've stopped the movie only to find Jerry Maguire on TBS. I love this movie! Yes it's hokey (and yes I just used the word hokey) and yes the lines I love are totally cliche. But I melt over his speech. He had me at hello.

Being a girl certainly has its ridiculous moments. I guess that's what this blog is all about, the ridiculous things we do when we witness love and want to take a part in it. For tonight I will watch the plights of fictional characters and rejoice when boy gets girl back at the very end. Maybe I'll break out the pint of Haagen Dazs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't specify the ice cream flavor you were going to have, Audge...it's Peanut Butter Chocolate right??? I still think of you guys every time I break out a half-gallon after a distressing day at work. :)

T