Is it bad to be glad that someone died? Even if you don't know the person? What if I am just glad of the consequences that resulted from said death? Allow me to explain.
The phone rang mid-afternoon. With fear that Jon's voice might be on the other end, I answered.
Hello?
Hi Audrey.
Who's this?
Are you serious?
No! I know you! I'm sorry the connection is bad.
I should hope so.
Julie, guess who it is!
(insert reply here)
Better!
Ted?
YES!
His aunt died and the funeral is Wednesday, here in Utah. He'll get into town tomorrow and leave again on Thursday. Can he come see me, he wonders. I laugh. As if an answer is even required. He is really only calling for a number. His brother has recently moved and Ted forgot the phone number. I had to guess at this number since you moved. Our conversation is short. He merely goads me about who else could have possibly been calling. Who did Julie think it was? Are you expecting someone? He actually makes the ooooo sound that girls are famous for, where the inflection follows a crescendo. I laugh again. He tells me that my latest email has been received although not read. His inbox is being weird. I give him the phone number and say I hope to see him soon. You won't hold it against me if I can't make it to see you, will you? Of course I will. I need to keep my hopes down. I know it, but what if I count down the hours until work lets out tomorrow? The conversation ends with him wishing me a Happy Camp Christmas. Isn't Christmas wonderful?
No comments:
Post a Comment