The comically offensive dream about Jon preceded some nights of insomnia. And what better use of nocturnal waking than creating elaborate stories? That's what I always do. Always have. Can't help doing, in fact. Usually, it's one of my stories, my would-be but won't be novels. Those nights, I explored the questions raised by the dream.
What would I do if Kevin died? (And may I take a moment to pause here and say that I really really really hope that he doesn't.)
At first, I confess to spending the life insurance money. Morbid? Maybe. Kevin and I often have similar discussions about how we'd spend our imaginary lottery winnings. I'd first pay off and then spruce up the house, getting it just the way I want. Pee-yellow tile in the bathroom? Not anymore! I'd get the yard landscaped professionally, with a blue spruce in front and flowers basically everywhere they can fit. I would pay tuition as I continue through school, getting marketable skills and whatnot for the eventuality of supporting my children by myself. (Dream big!) Luckily, the insurance money would grant enough breathing room for that to happen.
Eventually, though, I'd have to work. And a nurse doesn't have the most flexible hours. Either I'd be in a hospital setting, doing twelve-hour shifts where I don't see my kids at all unless I work nights. And, what, leave them home alone? Or, I'd be in an office working 8-5 and leaving my kids to come home from school to an empty house every afternoon.
What happens when Andrew starts seminary, and Matthew and Katie ride buses to different schools at different times? How would I get everyone out the door in the mornings? What happens when a kid is sick and needs a day at home? What happens when extracurriculars conflict? Would every meal be a choice between takeout and something microwaved? I'd have extended family around to help, but...
No comments:
Post a Comment