Saturday, October 21, 2023

Love Language

Gary Chapman asserts that there are five love languages, or ways that people demonstrate and show love. According to a super-valid online quiz, my top love language is physical touch, followed very closely by quality time. Acts of service is next but down more a ways. Words and gifts don't really register at all for me. I probably would have put time and touch in reverse order, myself, but it still comes down to those two things.

This might be one reason why I actually like spending time with my children. I can understand the frustration with being climbed on all the time, being grabbed, and followed. But it is very rare that I actually feel this way. I want the handholding and the cuddles and the hugs, and I don't even mind being climbed on the second I sit down. I like when they sneak into bed with me at night, even though I hardly sleep because they are rolling over on top of me. 

I like that while I am doing school, they are in the same room, doing art or listening to music. I even feel loved when they are annoying in their persistence: when they follow me into the bathroom or want to run errands for me, or insist that I do their bed time. I have cherished, even while painful, the nighttime wakings wherein I hold and rock them. I enjoy watching them play, listening to their make-believe and silly insights. And I absolutely love tackling a task together: gardening, cooking, laundry.

Cuddling while reading books and singing songs is my ultimate happy place. 

That's how I show my love, and it makes me feel loved in return.

No comments: