Sunday, July 14, 2024

The Way a Sandwich Should Be

Kevin brought me Subway the other day, just because. There was an online deal, and he knows I love sandwiches. 

Kevin does the dishes every day. When he is on a call for work, where he doesn't have to talk, he carries his computer downstairs and washes pans with his headphones on.

He reads scriptures to the children every single day. And, he doesn't just read, he pauses and explains and asks insightful questions. He never rushes to get through scriptures to get the kids to bed (unless it's very late). 

He does his own laundry and cleans up after himself. I know some women complain about their husband being another child they have to take care of, but not Kevin.

Kevin is responsible. He has held the same job (though different positions) for our entire marriage. He is valued by his managers and his coworkers. He works hard and is loyal.

He is also responsible with money. The worst offenses from him have been occasional small late fees on utility payments. I can trust him with money and with bills.

Kevin is funny. He makes me laugh, even when we're angry at each other in marriage counseling, even when our kids are fighting for the tenth time in a single morning. 

He reads stories to the children, complete with voices. He reads for at least half an hour every night. We might have ridiculously long bed times with the kids, but they will always remember that we read to them.

He has a great singing voice. 

Kevin takes out the garbage and mows the lawn. Always. The only time I've done it is when he was gone on business. Early in our marriage, I said I hated those two chores, and he took it to heart.

He gets along with my family. He has always been polite, no matter what, and usually very friendly. He likes them, crazy and all, and they like him. He let my brother's family of five live in my basement for month and never once complained.

Kevin doesn't complain when I need a break, either for a twenty-minute shower or a few days away. He simply steps in and takes care of what needs doing. He is patient and reliable. 

No comments: