Tuesday, December 20, 2005

the morning after

This morning I reread the blog I composed last night, and I shake my head to myself. You stayed up late to write that? It is mostly the last paragraph that annoys me. She sits there at the end of my thoughtful, albeit rambling, prose laughing at me. I cannot delete the stupid reference to a poor rendition of A Christmas Carol. The fact that it is there says a lot about me. It says that I will mock my own emotions, especially pain. It says that if I try to do anything great, even by way of a personal thesis, I will trip myself up, because I am too afraid that if I take myself seriously, no one else will. So I laugh first.

But I was in pain last night. Sometimes, when things hurt, it is easy to feel through them. It is a clean pain from an overt wound. Sometimes, the pain is better denied. Sometimes when it is too hard to feel one kind of hurt, feeling another makes it better. I understand why people inflict physical wounds on themselves. I did not do that. Instead, I systematically and unemotionally demolished my heart. A sledgehammer in one hand, a pickaxe in another, I swung left then right without passion or prejudice at the deep places where I feel pain. Mostly, to me, that last paragraph says the things I didn't say, can't say--not on this blog at any rate--about the topic I brought up. I know, now you're all curious. Ask, and I'll probably tell you.

At any rate, I cried myself to sleep, but not until nearly two in the morning. I couldn't bring myself to call anyone, and I prayed only for a minute before I shook my head at my own ridiculousness and crawled into bed. I didn't want to burden anyone with an abstract pain. I slept with the light on. The glow protected my dreams, like a sentinel, like a guardian angel perched on my dresser, cramped but unable to move for all the clutter he would knock to the floor. He was rather unshaven, his trench coat was wrinkled, and his overly-large wings bent at odd angles as they tried to make themselves unobtrusive. I felt glad of his presence, but this morning he was gone. Likely he had a Christmas to save, like Gideon or Clarence.

This morning it was righteous anger that got me up and out of the house. It was also righteous anger that got me back home within the hour. So, now that I don't have a job, I'm feeling great. I think I'll go back to sleep.

2 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

I love you and I miss you. I hope you know you can call me ANY time. I've spent enough sleepless nights alone to not be burdened, but rather pleased, to be allowed the privilege of sitting with someone else. Nonetheless, I understand your hesitancy. Yea, basically I'm just rambling. Anyway, I love you and am alone during the holidays, so would love to spend time with you.

P.S. You have a real gift for expression. It's beautiful, even when the feelings are very sad.

T said...

Audrey!

You know, sweetheart, I was awake at that ridiculous time of the morning. Bored. With nothing to do and no one to talk to. I could have used a phone call. :)