I do not like an audience. Sincerity becomes diffused between many participants in a conversation. Ted tried asking me about something today and, despite a desire to confide on my part, I did not answer. Not well, anyway. The reason is that Tarythe was present. It is not that I would not have told those things to her, but that I could not do it with more than one person at a time. The same is true if I play the role of a listener. I don't feel a connection to the speaker because I am trying to connect to the other listeners as well. My attention falters. At least, I feel that the speaker thinks my attention falters. Any conversation I hold with other people present feels like role-playing, a performance with the energy and wit and timing of a script. It doesn't seem real to me. I cannot make eye-contact. I am honest in word but not in spirit. Any other arrangement besides one-on-one just doesn't cut it for me when I want confidence.
Yet, when I lack confidence, a group of supporting friends helps to heighten my courage. Meeting new people, for instance, is a task I daren't undertake alone. When I am in a group of people who I know love me despite my follies, then I feel empowered to win over a new friend. It is at those times that I truly believe-a different thing than knowing-that I am a person anyone would like for a friend. So both settings are imperative for me, groups and intimacy. They are good for different reasons: one for the energy and wit and timing that make me feel beautiful and fun; the other for truth and honesty, another way of making me feel beautiful and appreciated.
A note to Ted: When you read this looking for a selfish confidence boost, hear this: I do not think that all you do is ridicule. I am not afraid that you will mock me. I trust you. You are a good friend. No buts about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment