I think every TV show and every movie ever made has featured at least one scenario like this one; a letter/diary/note that was thoughtlessly or harmlessly written is read by the subject and a misunderstanding/understanding occurs. At any rate, it is a fiasco at least, a disaster at worst. Some things are meant never to be read. Others, ought to be topped with a warning sign--Caution, do not read unless you are a capable and intelligent human being. I guess those are the same thing. Or maybe, better yet, Caution, do not WRITE unless you are prepared for sitcom-like consequences.I have had my share of situations resulting from a rather loose tongue and a free keyboard. Some have been comical, but not all. Perhaps I should learn to be more guarded, except that I don't mind taking the consequences, not for being honest. Others must bear the results that come from reading. Allow me to be more specific.
There was the Jon fiasco. That situation was just annoying. I understand that it hurt him when he read less than flattering things about himself on the site of an ex-girlfriend. But would he have been pained had he not read? No. Ignorance is bliss, so I've been told. Instead of going about his business, he made life more difficult for many people, trying to fight against the harshness he had read. It seemed a never-ending cycle as long as he frequented my blog. With each perusal the words became more severe. When he finally swore never to read it again, anger subsided to be replaced by cool indifference.
Situation number two: Jessica*'s Vivianne Leigh impersonation. In that case I will not try for a second to deny how in the wrong I was in our fight. But, I do not think that venting my feelings--no matter how childish they were--on my own blog is grounds for condemnation. All that I posted--and subsequently deleted--was said to her face before hand and later. Her pain, I am guessing, stemmed from the fact that I committed my sentiments to words, published before the eyes of many. I learned a lesson: When I publish negative feelings about anyone, I will provide them with an alias. The lesson she ought to have learned: do not expect stories of flowers, puppies and rainbows while in a fight.
The lesson that all should internalize: do not read unless prepared for the truth, good or bad. But when you do commit to reading, make sure to read the whole thing...I hate misunderstanding more than negative revelations, unless of course the confusion results in comedy.
I have just such an example. Ted's mom--and I really am sorry to her for this--believes me to be in love with her son. Over Thanksgiving Ted decided to do some archive reading on my blog, resurrecting the words I penned back in July. His reading it is embarrassing enough, with his full understanding of the background of each sentiment. What resulted from his trip into mylife is that his mom had the link to my blog on her computer's history. She does not understand my near-obsessive love of my friends, so when she read the archives, she became
alarmed. Ted was interrogated, and I defamed. We both got a great laugh about it, but I'm not sure that Mrs. Long even now is convinced of the truth of the friendship.Ah, well, "what do we live for but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn?"
* name changed to protect myself from repercussions.
No comments:
Post a Comment