I had nightmares again last night. I woke up smiling, snuggling deep under my covers and squeezing Raphael with fondness. You know those dreams where you suddenly realize at the end of a semester that you've been enrolled in a class that you've never been to, and now you have to take the final? I hate those dreams. But last night's was just a little different: I was on stage. For most people that would make the situation worse. Not for me. I had the lead role, and the day before the performance I remembered that I hadn't been to a single rehearsal. Everyone knew what they were doing, while I read off of someone's torn apart script. Annoying disasters occurred, and I kept appearing places I didn't want to be and having to get back to the stage. Yet, despite it all, I woke up with the thrill I always feel just before a performance.
Oh, how I miss theater.
I've been talking nonstop about the stage ever since Ted and I discovered it in the JFSB. There is a small theater there that he and I explored in the dark on Sunday. He found a piano and immediately started playing. I stood in the middle of the stage, automatically putting back my shoulders and raising my head. Lovingly I stroked the curtains as I ambled around the stage, playing imagination games with myself in my mind. I sighed as we reentered the lighted world of Real.
It's been five years since I quit drama. My one relapse was my senior year in high school when I wrote, directed and acted in the ward roadshow. The night Ted and I talked about good advice not taken I brought up how Nora, sage that she is, told me to stick it out in drama no matter how terrible the high school theater teachers became. I didn't listen. At the time I blamed it on a new teacher who treated me like the underclassmen that I was. Now I know that I couldn't have been happy acting during those years no matter who directed me. That was the time when I shut off my emotions, finding daily life a bit too difficult to feel deeply. And, to be Great on stage, one has to feel deeply. I quit because suddenly I found the emotional vulnerability a bit too much like standing naked before a panel of judges.
Now, however, I think I would jump on the stage and pirouette before them, letting the world see all the things I fear about life, just for the chance to enter that world again; the chance to experience opening night, to see the eyes watching me and then feeling them disappear as I become the part I play; the chance to feel the rush and jolt of being part of a world I create for the audience, as they and I fuse into one entity; the chance to bond with fellow actors as I explore the script and all the possibilities it holds. For that, I would give a lot.
1 comment:
I have to echo your sentiments about the theatre. I love it as well; thus my major. Why don't you start auditioning for shows again? There are plenty of opportunities for you, Auds.
Post a Comment