Thursday, June 20, 2024

Just Good

By virtue of the blog being my emotional outlet, it is bearing more than its fair share of my complaining. These are the things that I need to work through, and writing helps. But I am tired of my own whining. 

So, here is the good. Just the good.

I got into the nursing program for this fall. I was so so prepared for a rejection that I sat and stared at the letter for at least five minutes. Kevin asked what was wrong, and then heartily congratulated me, and I still just sat there gaping. 

I met an editor at the painting retreat. We each wrote and read an essay to the group. Afterward, she approached me to ask if I was a writer. She asked me to send her some chapters. She responded very positively (and quickly), asking for more. Maybe I'll actually do something with my writing.

I am excited to see Ted and Tarythe at the "reunion." They are still two of my very best friends of all time, despite long silences between us. Ted and I text at least once a year on birthdays, and then any time we see something that reminds us of the other, such as a funny license plate or anything referencing "Waiting for Godot." I am excited to meet his family.

I haven't killed the plants in my garden yet this year, and the flowers out front have been spectacular. Watering in the cool of the morning brings tranquility and hope.

A local utility company needed to lay a new cable, so they had to dig in our side yard. As they cleaned up their mess, they leveled the dirt, laid new landscaping fabric, and covered it with new rocks. They essentially gave my side yard a free glow up, removing all the weeds for me. 

The boys are doing really well in their swimming lessons right now. And chores seem to have become an expected part of summer to which my children are resigned. The routine is moving smoothly. 

When I workout in the basement, I watch part of a movie. I just introduced my kids to A Knight's Tale, which they enjoyed a lot. It's fun watching their enthusiasm.

Yoga was a great class this spring. I felt better after every class.

My sisters live nearby, and my children love having cousin time. I have so much joy in listening to them play and knowing that they are forming life-long bonds. I am so grateful for the relationship with my sisters, from trading babysitting to emotional support through trials. We really did become best friends like my mom wanted.

I have learned that I love drawing with colored pencils, and the art retreat reinvigorated my love of watercolor painting. I have been taking the time to do art or to write this summer, and it leaves me feeling extremely satisfied.

I love that on library days, my kids ignore computer games in favor of reading. They all curl up on the couch in blissful silence. I have introduced my boys to Sanderson's YA novels, and they love when I read aloud with the voices. "Cuddle parties" are favorite points of our days.

My hair is almost to my waist. Again. In that, I keep cutting off three to four inches at a time, and it grows like a weed. My hair loves Colorado. Maybe it's the water, maybe it's the lack of humidity, maybe it's the vitamins I take. All I know is that this is the hair I have always wanted. I even really like my silver streaks, though today I died them orange just for fun. 

While I have messed up a handful of times, I have been without Coca Cola since the new year. I found I can't give up caffeine, as it messes with my antidepressants, but I found a Crystal Light caffeinated option without artificial sweeteners that I actually enjoy drinking. I tumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen for some mixed berry goodness and my morning NYT puzzles while cuddling with my early bird kiddos. I enjoy my mornings.

Today, the sun is out, and I feel fine.

No comments: