Friday, November 18, 2005

nora, too big for prose

When you were near I rarely cried.
The need was gone.
But when outside forces overpowered me,
when I finally melted into tears,
you were there to make sure that I wasn't alone,
and then you picked me up again.

With you around laughter was language.
We made ridiculous an art,
as we squirmed and squished on my bed.
I told you everything and you understood.
You would tease, as sisters do,
but then you loved me more.

When you were home I was never lonely.
Homesick was when you were away.
And then I could call you and you would always be there.
I never had to tell you of the pain,
because as soon as I heard your voice
the loneliness was gone.

My world fell apart along time ago.
I never knew it.
Because I had you.

Since you've been gone,
I feel each time a wall shakes,
each time my heart breaks,
and I know how much you bore for me.

It makes me glad that I am now
old enough to bear something
for you.

1 comment:

Nora said...

I love you!