Saturday, November 05, 2005

in my mind

We used to go on walks holding hands;
now when my hands close they cannot help
but remember the calluses and
creases in yours.
I cannot close my hand all the way;
my fingers leave a space there for you,
as if your hand had never let go.
it's still there.
When I walk alone my hand will still
take along you.
that's not true.
we never held hands.

It is my mind that takes you with me.
i am in distant lands without you;
but it seems to me that you are here.
constantly here.
We laugh at all of our inside jokes;
together we sing that same old tune;
tell me how you learned to play it on
your old guitar.
We discuss the new ideas I've heard.
i debate you.
why do I lose;
it's all in my head?

I remember everything for you;
i bring back the jokes, songs and hearsay.
now we can laugh and sing and argue.
now it's true.
We live the walk that you took with me;
then you in turn tell me of your life
and the walk that I went on with you.
i was there.
This is how I hold hands with you -all
when we talk.
on my walk
and again on yours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audrey, you have a gift. I love you girl. Keep it up.

Chicken Dust said...

You are amazing.

I'm guessing this means you made it safely to a computer there. I hope Texas treated you well. Are you safely back with us?

T said...

Yep. My Audrey is back! I was so excited last night when I saw her. I tell you, it was difficult to wait until she put her stuff down to give her a hug!

The first thing I think of is getting a hug? Never would've guessed with me, huh? *grin*