Saturday, September 24, 2005

good morning starshine

I have always been a morning person. Yes, laugh all you like, friends. I may not be an early riser, especially when I don't have to be up, but I have always been glad to wake up, to meet the day. My favorite way to do it, absolutely favorite way, is to lay in bed and here the soft sounds of others getting ready for the day. It started in elementary school when my older sisters would be getting ready for seminary and I would lay awake in bed listening to them laugh and talk, and hear the soft clinking of curling irons being set on the counter. Up until six weeks ago I woke up to April. First her blowdryer, then Rascal Flatts being played really low in the background. Today, I realized that I hate being woken up that way now. For the last month I have desired to throw anything sharp and heavy I have at my roommates when their music starts playing and they start talking loudly outside my door. I stumble out of my room bleary-eyed, as I have always done, and am accosted by jabs on my mood. Oh, don't talk to Audrey for a couple more hours... Good morning starshine, time to face the day...Sleep poorly again?...Just in a bad mood, I see. Yes, with April, with anyone before, I was still sleepy when I emerged from my room. Sometimes I came out so fast that I would collapse from dizziness. But the first thing I would do would be to say good morning, and usually I would make a joke. I would grin through my mane of morning hair and laugh despite the fact that I hadn't yet brushed my teeth, and then I would get really excited about the fact that I got to eat breakfast. I hate waking up now. I don't eat breakfast. I don't enjoy seeing their faces when I leave my room. I don't want to face the morning. Just tell me when it's over.

2 comments:

Nora said...

"gliddy glub gloopy nibby nabby noopy
la la la - lo lo
sabba sibbi sabba nooby aba naba
lee lee - lo lo
tooby ooby wala
nooby aba naba
early morning singing song"

a good song equals a good morning.

Chicken Dust said...

Does this lovely song have a tune? I want to sing it every morning at the top of my lungs. Good morning everyone!