hands. touching hands. reaching out. touching me, touching you.
Sometimes there is nothing I crave more than physical human contact. That's one of the many wonderful things about Elise: she touches all the time. If she is talking to you, her hand needs to be resting on your body. If y'all are not talking, her legs may be sprawled ungainly over yours. She loves to cuddle, to hug, to kiss. So does her male counterpart Gabe. I'm not often comfortable sitting with male legs draped over mine, nor do I usually lay my hand on a boy's thigh. But with Gabe I can! I who am so intimidated by touch have learned to freely use it.
Yesterday at church I was sitting in sacrament meeting and wanting so badly to touch someone. I finally turned to Julie and asked if I could hold her hand. She looked a little amused but offered it to me readily. I actually hugged William Way. I've been kissing Elise like I live in Anne of Green Gables. I spooned Ashley when we had a group nap. Uncomplicated touch is probably the best way to relate to another human being. I love that Elise taught me that lesson.
Last night was her going away party. She is returning home to the great state of Texas to await The Call. She wants me to come to her farewell. It's so fun. I know I will miss her, but she will make a wonderful missionary. She loves everyone, really loves them. I didn't know anyone took that passage in Matthew seriously, but Elise sure does. She takes everyone into her life as though they have been her best friends, and people react by loving her like one. The small gathering of her most intimate friends last night consisted of over twenty people. Elise spawns love wherever she goes. As long as she can keep her hands to herself for eighteen months, nothing will stop her. We she leaves behind will be better for having known her, more open, engaging and vulnerable; but we will find life is one light bulb short.
No comments:
Post a Comment