Friday, November 26, 2010

all I want for christmas

I have lost my ongoing battle against consumerism. I fell into the trap of Black Friday specials, and the argument, "but it's on sale." Christmas suddenly became for me just another shopping trip. Kevin bought his own presents, so I don't even have the anticipation of giving to others. I feel thoroughly disenchanted by presents, except the one to Nora from the family. What disappointed me was my uncustomary greediness and simultaneous lack of self. I looked at good deals and decided what I could want, instead of taking the time to really want something that I would value. I will enjoy the assortment of movies I'll open Christmas morning, especially The Philadelphia Story that I have wanted, but I don't anticipate any of it.

What helped a lot is that Kevin bought us a Christmas tree, and he and I listened to Christmas music while assembling it. The Nativity is out, and a party is planned. These are the things I want for Christmas: friends, music, food, etc. In short, I need to foster all the warmth of celebration and forget the cold draw of materialism.

PS- This entry looks terribly ungrateful. I did not mean to complain that I am getting gifts. I like what I am getting. I was just feeling badly for being focused on presents instead of people.

No comments: