Friday, June 27, 2008

man of my nightmares

I had a nightmare last night unlike I have ever known, different not in form so much as in the experience of it. There was violence, danger, frustration. I was only blocks from my McKinney home but couldn't get there. I couldn't rescue friends from impending drawn-out death. Even petty aspects of nightmares, awkward social situations, assailed me. But I felt calm. As long as he was there, I felt calm, beyond the reach of the pain, fear and frustration.

I don't know who he is. In my dreams, people remain faceless, but still I can discern their identity. For instance, though I never saw the details of them, I knew that Kevin and my high school friend Angelica were there. This man's identity was as shadowed as his face, yet I felt more familiar with him than anyone I have ever known. I was as much myself with him as I have ever been alone; no, I was more natural with him than without.

The times in my dream when I could no longer distance myself from the events of the nightmare were when his fingers slipped from mine. When we struggled through the collapsing building to save the wounded woman, he pushed me to safety. Away from danger and without him, in the moments it took for him to follow, I gasped with the most personal fear I've known. The second he touched my fingers again I felt as though no fear had ever existed .

Even though I never saw his face, I felt certain that he was someone I knew, loved and trusted. What's more, I felt the same emotions coming from him in regard to me. I didn't --couldn't-- question his love for me. Even when impediments arose and reason argued for us to part, he didn't leave me. Staying together felt right, like the rational solution to a logical problem.

The moment I woke, the first thought to assail me was the only important question, which had been so ridiculously unimportant while I slept: "who is he?"

I am still certain that he is someone I know, though obviously not in the same capacity as in the dream. Maybe he is a fictional character, perhaps even one of mine, that I know well. I just cannot put my finger on it. I have been trying to reason through all of the hints I have of his identity. He was dark --swarthy-- and well-groomed. His shadowed head bent solicitously over mine, making him 6 to 8 inches taller. He is broader than I, naturally strong through habitual activeness but with a layer of softness, as though disinterested in purposefully sculpting his body. He took commitments seriously and so hesitated to commit. He was almost carelessly loyal, indifferently moral and lazily graceful. I don't know which parts of him were fictionalized by my brain: perhaps his character is real but the figure of my invention, or vice versa. I'm still tied too firmly to the dream: I still feel certain that finding him will make things right.

I am waiting to wake up.

No comments: