Monday, March 20, 2006

exactly four units of distance

Have I been distant lately? I asked Emilie. She responded to the negative. She hadn't noticed anything, at least. I asked her because I knew by the way that Ted wanted to take me walking in the sleet that I was being obvious about holding something back. Subtlety, thy name is most certainly not Audrey.

Oh no! replied Emilie. Maybe I'm being distant, and that's why I didn't notice. I'm so sorry.

I asked the others. Without hesitation, not even a beat missed, they confirmed my reclusiveness. It's been two weeks, noted Caitie. Always after work, added Cassidy. You're in your room a lot more, confirmed Tarythe. But, they agreed, you're not distant with Emilie.

Perhaps they are offended if Emilie seems closer to me. Ted and Caitie certainly thought she knew what's been going on. The truth is, she's as much in the dark as anyone. It's not mine to tell, I have repeated to their kind offers of help and listening ears. But at least it's been said; that helps in a way. I apologized for my distance, really just taking note of the fact that I need to develop a better facade.

It wasn't until I sat on my bed waiting for sleep that I mentally slapped myself and decided that what needed to be done was not more cover-up, but closer relations with the girls. Sure I can't tell them everything, but I can trust them. I hopped off my bed and ran to the front room. Apartment prayer? I begged. Cassidy covered for me when I couldn't speak the words to Heavenly Father. She asked Him, if any of us is struggling please help her to be at peace.

So now, the next step is to let go of the brooding and be happy with the life I am living with them.

4 comments:

Flops said...

Um, I haven't seen you in forever. Maybe I can remedy this by taping some sort of Abberforth or Stewart to your front door. Just maybe.

Emilie said...

Thank you for your example Audrey. I love you.

Audrey Michal said...

the best was Julie's answer: Are you distanced? I don't know. I'm engaged.

Emilie said...

Ha ha! It's true.. I'm so excited for Jules. :)