My favorite thing about Glee of late has been the absolute disregard by the writers of previous episodes. Plot has never been the strong point for the show. It is merely a second-class element, the catalyst for the next musical number. I watch it for the stellar singing and dancing. But now, the overly dramatic plot has become somewhat ridiculous. The writers don't even try for any cohesion to previous episodes. Each new hour is a chance to recreate their universe. And they imbue their characters with the same memory bias.
Finn cheating on Quinn with Rachel is completely forgotten, as is the fact that he loved Rachel right up until Quinn kissed him again a year later, when he thinks, "Maybe that's why I never got things going with Rachel-I was still hung up on Quinn." What does he mean, he never got things going with her?
Rachel infiltrated the celibacy club to get close to Finn and then stormed out again after a rant about abstinence not working for teens. Now, she is in celibacy club, the lone voice of abstinence. At least she has been consistent in wanting Finn, even if she'll date others along the way.
Quinn's back and forth between Puck and Finn becomes a back and forth between Sam and Finn. But not before she swears off men altogether after getting pregnant. When did that cease to affect her? Quinn doesn't think she is brave enough to leave the Cheerios, despite having done so the year before.
Puck starts out as the bad boy who sleeps around. But with Quinn, it was different. "This isn't just another score." He admits to loving her after she gives birth. But none of that has been acknowledged this season. He's back to the man whore who's looking to grow.
Mr. Schue is in love with Emma, so much so that he makes out with another woman. Sue constantly finds pity for Glee, and then determines again to destroy them.
Somehow each new plot device comes at the expense of those previous. It's becoming a joke, no matter how well they sing about it.
1 comment:
That "maybe that's why I never got things going with ___" cognitive dissonance is one I see everywhere, and hate with a passion. I hate it as much as I love Cheetos. Writers use it to try to re-write all the relationship subtleties (and hopefully our memories of them) in a moment.
I've seen it in Chuck, Reaper, and every other show where there's a character they're "supposed" to end up with. I can choose to look at it as insulting, but I prefer to think the writers are just dumber than I am.
Post a Comment