My dreams are true in a sense that I am manifesting real anxiety. The embodiment happens to be a little twisted. My fear of powerlessness comes in the form of water in dreams. It is often rising or pouring in through cracks, and I know that eventually it will overwhelm me. But while the symbols are manifestations of ubiquitous fears, the structure of the dreams, the plot, do not mean anything, they are the product of my mind's attempt to make sense of random stimuli.
Sometimes I have true dreams, in that when I wake up I think, Ah! That meant something! I remember these in perfect detail for years. And I always know exactly what they mean.
Like the one about the fruit trees outside of my McKinney home. I still vividly recall that dream. There are three others that I recall as clearly, but have no desire to recount in detail. And I had two in the past seven days.
The first was a Co-op version of the Most Dangerous Game, struggles with coworkers and jungle-set fights to the death. Later, trapped in an elevator that was part of an elaborate death trap, I discovered that the Co-op president was orchestrating all of these death matches, and the only way to appease him and get out of the elevator was to offer him a sacrifice of chocolate. I refused to do so, and instead prostrated myself before him in mocking obeisance. I scorned him and antagonized him, all the while knowing that my death was in his hands.
When I got to work the next morning, the mood was tense. Each member of the staff was trying to blame another for a failure on the sales floor that the Co-op president had noticed. He didn't care that it was rectified, he wanted someone to pay for it, and so pitted the entire staff against each other. No, I'm not prescient: this happens a lot. And I have no respect for the president who divides the company so severely, causing nothing but inefficiency and poor communication. I don't play his games. I wonder how long I'll last.
And then last night I had this dream:
I was part of a group mountain climbing, anchored by ropes, using pickaxes for gripping. The purpose was not recreation; I was being pursued and trying to escape with my life. Many people died. Dad was in the rear, struggling through deep snow. Some had left the path, building caves in the ice for shelter against the storm. And I lit a cigarette, responding to intimated criticism by explaining, "death does this to me."
It was when I lit the cigarette that I began to notice the oddity in my situation. What I am about to describe, I had seen through the entire dream, but I had never doubted the occurrences of the dream were real. The cigarette I "smoked" was a yellow colored pencil held loosely between my lips. The pickax a combination back-scratcher and shoe horn. The rope anchors, neck ties. The ice caves, piles of blankets, and the steep mountainous terrain was a path winding around a bed in the middle of a normal room. And somehow that didn't change a thing: Dad was still stuck, others had died, I was fleeing an enemy while constantly expecting to freeze or fall to my death. Though I knew I was playing make-believe, the consequences were real, and I kept on pretending.
I'm not going to tell you what it means.
No comments:
Post a Comment