Thursday, May 18, 2006

g.i.v.e.r.

I may never grow up. At least, at this pace, it seems unlikely. I have changed my mind yet again in regards to what I want to be. Oh, I still want to write, to be a mom and to do family history work, but now I have another idea to add to that list. Lately I have become infatuated with the idea of starting my own school. Emilie and I planned it. The school would start as a multi-family home school between the four roommates, but it would grow as we solicited students from the community. Always very small scale, but very very effective and fun.

Emilie would teach music--in later years in would be elective, but starting out as part of the core curriculum in elementary. Caitie would have many roles besides teaching science. She wants to be "that person who when the kids get cut tells them to suck it up and quit crying." "The school nurse?" I asked her. "Yeah! That's it."She would also oversee dance and self-defense. Cassidy heads up math and history. I would teach English and social sciences, including government, economics, sociology, and philosophy (all those things I debated majoring in!) Maybe I could also be the librarian?

Emilie and I discussed hiring out for other positions, but she eventually decided that we would marry out for those jobs. All four of us girls would marry men with normal day jobs so our financial drain of a school wouldn't be responsible for supporting the family. These men, however, must also have skills necessary for the survival of our institute. An accountant was Emilie's first concern. I volunteered to take business classes but instead Cassidy has offered to marry a Marriott school grad.

We're marrying Ted because we love him and because his skills in music can complement Emilie's, and he can build a fire. We all love camping and want to do character-building retreats, but I cannot build a fire for the life of me.

We need a handyman, though he can of course have a different day job if he likes. I just want to be able to ask someone free of charge what ought to be done about the leaky faucet. Nathaniel Gardner has been selected as one who is good with his hands. He is too young for me so he falls to Cassidy; he'll just have to major in accounting when he decides what he wants to be when he grows up.

Other requirements included dentistry (because apparently this school is turning into a commune and we'll never go outside the family for anything), advertising, dancing, gardening, knowledge of computers, ability and willingness to cook dinner, and gospel knowledge (for life in general but also for seminary teaching). So if you know someone with these qualities who wants to be part of something small but good, please email me immediately. It's never too soon to marry....oh wait....

Caitie's options for marriage are fairly open. I've recommended Matt Bushman for character across the board. My choice is Steve Gardner for his name. If I marry him we can call the school the Gardner Institute of Education or something like that. Or maybe the Gardner Institute of Very Educated Retards so we could tell people that we are G.I.V.E.R.s Oh the possibilities!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come? You know I am always up for living in a commune!!! And I'll give you one guess who I'll volunteer to marry - you know for the benefit of the whole commune (wink, wink)

Audrey Michal said...

April, I am so glad that you are willing to help us by sacrificing yourself in such a marriage! You could do PR for us, while your husband (i'm sure I don't know whom you mean) could support us all by the great money he will make in his work as a dentist.

T said...

I have no idea what I could add to this whole commune, but I can't just let myself be excluded. Me too me too me too!!!

Perhaps I could teach Latin. Or Theatre...Caitie, Emilie, Ted, and I could put our music/dance/theatre skills together to jointly head up the school's MDT program.

OR, even better...since I plan on being rich, I'll be the school's benefactor so that there's enough money to educate gifted but underprivileged children.

T said...

PS. If I donate lots of money, will I get my name on a silver plaque in the entryway? And maybe a fancy dinner once a year that I get to make a speech at? :)